(rustic cut for summer, photo)
Summer's Bounty of Flavors.
Nothing goes better with summer foods like a good ol' marinated vegetable salad, rustic style. And, when I'm speaking of summer foods, I'm talking grilled chicken, BBQ ribs, pork roast . . . all the things we love to eat during the summer months.
We are very fortunate to have so many garden fresh vegetables available to us now but I think my favorite are squash and tomatoes. (I know, tomatoes are scientifically a fruit.) Although, thinking about one of last week's side dishes, fresh green beans and new potatoes might just come in pretty darn close. There's something about the combination of squash and tomatoes that make me extremely happy and just full of myself. Add the two together with fresh basil and a little vinaigrette with the surprise sweetness of a ripen pear, well, now that's high-cotton.
You can find links to a few of these successful flavors below as well as other related recipes.
Summer Squash and Tomato Salad
about 6 servings
- Summer Squash and Tomato Salad
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup halved red and/or yellow currant tomatoes
- 1 pear, cored, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (total) snipped fresh basil, tarragon, and/or chives
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 oz coby jack cheese, crumbled - optional
- Bring 2 cups of salted water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add squash and blanch for 1 minute. Drain and add squash to a bowl of ice water to cool down, about 5 minutes. Drain again, and place squash on absorbent paper towels to remove excess water.
- Combine remaining ingredients along with the squash, except cheese, in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours to marinate.
- Toss in cheese prior to serving.
- You'll be surprised how the simplicity of ripen fruit will brighten a summer vegetable salad.
- Other Squash and Tomato Recipes:
- Squash and Tomato Tian
- Squash and Tomato Wonder Casserole
- 24-hr Squash Pickle Recipe
- Yellow Squash and Zucchini Casserole
- Squash Souffle
- Squash Gratin, Southern Style
- Cheesy Squash Casserole
- Momma's Squash Casserole
- Fire and Ice Tomatoes
- Fresh Corn and Tomato Pie
- Tomato and Spinach Pie
- Tomato Bacon Potato Gratin
- Cucumber, Corn and Tomato Salad