The Scene: Tuesday Night. Dad out, 13-year-old at camp, me at office, five minutes from home. Pouring.
4:00 Receive text at work from 15-year-old: Can we see The Big Sick tonight?
4:03 Quick Flixster scan of movie times. Me: 6:15 show, be ready a little before 6
4:04 Can we have dinner before we go? I’m starving
4:05 Sure. Quick scan from memory of fridge turns up nothing but orphaned vegetable scraps.
5:15 Leave office, swing by Stop ‘n Shop, pick up rotisserie chicken.
5:30 Home. Simmer and shock asparagus; chop up chicken, onions, cucumbers, asparagus.
5:40 Make dressing. Toss everything together. Eat.
5:50 Leave for movie.
6:15 Popcorn and previews.
Chopped Chicken Salad with Vegetables
- 1 rotisserie chicken, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 mini cucumbers, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons red onion, minced finely (could also use shallots or scallions)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar (would’ve used rice vinegar if I had it)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons mayo
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil (or olive oil if that’s all you got)