Not sure if you’ve noticed, but we’ve been doing a lot of eating in my house lately — and while we always try to keep it relatively artery-friendly, we frequently hit stretches where this is impossible. This past week, for instance, there was the burgers-and-dogs barbecue at a friend’s house, there was the baked-good bacchanalia during the ballet recital intermission, there was Andy’s business dinner at a downtown restaurant that proved to be a five-course ode to butter and cream. This is usually the time we break out our Detox Soup, made in a blender from all things green, and perfect for a warm summer night when you don’t want to turn on the stove.
The kids don’t love the soup as much as we do so we present them with a mini serving and provide cucumber slices and mini whole wheat pitas (no spoon) so they think of it more as a dip than as a soup.
Avocado & Cucumber Soup (aka “Detox Soup”)
- 1 cucumber (peeled and cubed)
- 2 avocados (1 pitted and peeled, 1 cut into chunks)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 small jalapeno chili, minced (remove seeds if your kids do not like heat)
- 5 scallions (white parts only) sliced (or 1/2 small shallot)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- salt and pepper