There are a lot of situations in life that it’s nice to be prepared ahead of time. Sometimes you have a really busy work week, sometimes you are about to have a baby & won’t have energy, time or motivation to cook, sometimes you just want a lazy day dinner, or sometimes you are helping out a friend by bringing them a meal they can have later on for whatever their circumstance might be.
When I was in a married student ward several years ago, I was the compassionate service leader. Since our ward was so young, we mostly only ever needed to provide meals for new mothers. I would call people on a list I had previously handed out for volunteers to provide hot or freezer meals for the families. Most of the time when I would mention the awful word, “freezer meal” the gal on the other end, would panic:
- Any soup, stew or chili can be made in bulk & frozen in a gallon freezer bag.
- You can double any casserole recipe, buy some tin foil pans from the dollar store, & make an extra to freeze with foil over the top.
- Pastas, rice, & potatoes all freeze relatively well.
- Crockpot meals are your friend: raw meat, sauce, vegetables, put in a ziplock bag, freeze, done!
- Breakfast burritos, english muffin breakfast sandwiches, pancakes/waffles, muffins, etc all freeze well too. Freezer meals are not just dinners!