A hearty soup chock full of kale, chorizo, potato and aromatics. I first had this soup as a kid, at my babysitter Florinda’s house. She was Portuguese, and her kitchen was always filled with delicious smells and flavors. I didn’t know what I was eating at the time, but I knew back then that it was damn good. So after many years, I had this soup again as an adult at a local Portuguese restaurant, I finally learned it was called Caldo Verde! This soup is super satisfying, and super healthy! It’s full of tons of kale, with just the perfect amount of salty, fatty goodness from the chorizo. You can lighten it up even more by using turkey chorizo, if you can find it!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1½ cups finely chopped onions (1 medium onion)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (2-3 cloves)
- 2 cups Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes (1-2 small potatoes)
- 7 cups no salt added vegetable broth stock or vegetable broth
- 1-2 chorizo links (1.5-3oz), cubed
- ¾ pound kale, stems removed and shredded (about 8 cups)