I just love one skillet meals! Fall, football games and hearty comfort food season are just around the corner. Here is a delicious and hearty one skillet meal that is very easy to cook and made with chicken, vegetables and Mezzetta® Napa Valley Homemade Tomato & Sweet Basil Sauce – the perfect combination for a comfort Fall meal. By cutting out the step of making my own sauce, I spend less time in the kitchen and more time at the table with my husband.
This One Skillet Chicken Cacciatore is a delicious and healthy Italian comfort food. Cacciatore means “hunter” in Italian. In cuisine, alla cacciatora refers to a meal prepared “hunter-style” with onions, mushrooms, herbs, usually tomatoes, often bell peppers, and sometimes wine. I also added bits of bacon, it adds so much flavor to the meal.
- 4 chicken breasts (you can also use 6 chicken tenderloins)
- 3 - 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup red onion, coarsely sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ of each red, yellow & green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 teaspoons dry oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- basil leaves, chopped