Now that fall is upon us (wishful thinking down here in New Orleans), I’ve decided it’s time to start focusing more on comfort food recipes – like cheddar cheese drop biscuits! WITH Cajun tomato gravy. The timing for this recipe was inspired by the monthly #TwelveLoaves challenge. Earlier this month I found out about the #TwelveLoaves challenge from Barb at Creative Culinary.
Click on the logo to learn more about the Twelve loaves challenge!
Barb, along with Lora at the Cake Duchess and Jamie at Life’s a Feast do a monthly bread theme and encourage other bloggers to participate. The challenge is inspired by a love of baking and making baked goods from scratch rather than purchasing them pre-made. The September theme is cheese bread. I’d been just looking for a reason to post a cheese biscuit recipe and this was it!
- Cajun Tomato Gravy:
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 onion, roughly diced
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped garlic
- 1-28 ounce can of whole tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- Cheddar Cheese Drop Biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup shortening (such as Crisco)
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced green onions
- 1 cup whole milk