You can never go wrong with bacon, and a fair amount of it. There’s just no other food like it. It has that unique melt-in-your mouth crunch, a delicious slow-smoked depth of flavor and a crave worthy saltiness. We are always fighting for the last slice at my house. I try not to live on the stuff, if only it were as healthy as fresh veggies then I would.
This salad is all about the bacon, it’s definitely the highlight here and then everything added was to compliment it’s flavors. Swiss, eggs, mushrooms, red onion and croutons all pair well with bacon. Then of course spinach salads and bacon are a no brainer, those not so crunchy leaves need a little somethin somethin.
- 12 oz bacon, cooked (drippings and browned bits from pan reserved), crumbled, divided
- 5 large eggs, boiled, peeled and sliced
- 9 oz baby spinach
- 6 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced (run under cool water to remove harsh bite)
- 1 cup shredded or finely cubed swiss cheese
- 2 1/2 cups homemade or store bought croutons (optional)
- 3 Tbsp reserved bacon drippings with browned bits
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper