Ultimate comfort food right here! I decided to end the year right with an indulgent recipe that is sure to please! I mean really who wouldn’t love these?
If you’ve ever ordered the cheese fries at places like Outback Steakhouse then these will very familiar to you. On a good note though, at least they are a bit healthier than those fries since these are coated in a light amount of olive oil and baked, and you can opt to use light cheddar cheese (which works great, I tested with the first batch). Also I chose to go somewhat skimpy with the bacon and just crumbled it up into small bits to make the flavor go further, then I opted for a light ranch rather than a fat packed, calorie heavy version.
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled or chopped it bits
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, scrubbed and rinsed, diced into 3/4-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, more to taste if desired
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz medium or sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (use 2% if desired)
- Light ranch dressing, recipe follows in notes below
- 2 - 3 green onions, whites discarded, greens chopped
- Cooking spray