If you are looking to add more healthy foods to your diet, here is a great alternative to chicken noodle soup that taste just as good but is a healthier option. The traditional egg noodles found most chicken noodle soups don’t have much nutrition but barley on the other hand is perfectly good for you.
I make chicken noodle soup at my house almost every week lately so it’s nice to have something I can rotate it with. I will likely even find myself making this more than the traditional chicken noodle soup. I love the texture the barely adds and how filling it makes this soup.
- 1 3/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots (about 4)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery (about 4)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 large)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth, plus more as desired
- 3/4 cup pearl barley (uncooked)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp of each dried rosemary, thyme, and marjoram
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup slightly packed, chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice