Do you have a PINTEREST account? You can follow me HERE if you’d like to, I’d love to have you follow!
Do you like lasagna? If you answered yes, or even no, you’re going to want to make this soup! This is definitely one of my new favorite soups. It tastes just like lasagna but in soup form, so how could it not be a new favorite?
With this recipe you can use half Italian sausage in place of half of the ground beef. You could also replace half of the parmesan cheese with Romano cheese. Then of course, as listed the garlic amount is to taste, I love garlic so I like a lot but not everyone does. Fresh herbs can be used in place of any of the dry, just triple the amounts if using fresh. It’s winter and fresh herbs aren’t as convenient as dried so I went with most all dried for this recipe, but I’m sure in the summer I’ll want to try it out with fresh basil and oregano.
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (2 cups)
- 3 - 5 garlic cloves, to taste, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into bite size pieces (6.5 oz)
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (5 oz)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese (2 oz)
- 8 oz ricotta cheese