In the winter with the holidays behind us its time to eat healthy and enjoy every bite. This bean soup with both kale and chard is perfect for a chilly winter night but you won’t regret it come bikini season. This meal is a hearty enough to keep everyone full but it’s so nice and light I would not think twice about serving it for a ladies lunch. I served my white bean soup with a little drizzle of good olive oil and a few shavings of Pecorino Romano cheese.
The red chard that I used had an added effect that I really loved; it gave a soft reddish gold color to the broth like I had added tomatoes or something. This recipe is a great way to used up those chard stems that I would have otherwise thrown away. Why not eat every bit of the veggies we bring home from the market? The only thing I may try next time I cook this soup is swapping out the plain orzo for barley, the earthy flavor of the barley would be great with the kale. If you do make that swap don’t forget that the barley has a much longer cooking time than the orzo.
Winter White Bean Chicken Soup
- 4-5 skinless chicken thighs
- 4 15 oz cans of chicken broth
- 3 medium onions
- 2 large carrots
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 5-8 stems of a red or other color Swiss chard
- 1 bunch kale (removed from stems and cut into bite sized ribbons)
- 1 tbsp of favorite Italian spice blend
- 1 can white beans (like cannellini)
- ¾ cup of orzo pasta (or you could try barley or other grain)