Artisan Herb Bread Braid. Wheat and barley flour laced with fresh parsley, thyme, rosemary, garlic and lemon zest.
Welcome to another fun addition of Bread Bakers!
Everyone loves pretty braided bread.
You can intertwine ropes of dough to create a culinary showpiece!
Strands of sweet dough can brushed with cocoa, cinnamon and sugar or fruit.
Savory bread can sport hot oils made from chilies, garlic butters and of course, herbs.
No special skills are required. If you can braid hair or rope, you can make braided bread. I like to use 4 strands for my loaf.
- 1 packet dry activated yeast (1 1/4 teaspoons)(I use Red Star Premium)
- 1 cup warm water (110 to 120 degrees)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 12 ounces of flour (about 2 1/4 cups) flour plus 1/4 cup for dusting (I use Bob's Red Mill Artisan Bread Flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mixed herbs, chopped (I used parsley, rosemary, thyme, lemon zest and garlic)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided