Whenever I make meatballs – the first night we always have meatball subs or ‘bombers’ as we like to call them. Partly because it’s enough work to mix the meatballs and cook them and I often don’t want to also boil water and cook pasta. And then we rarely have leftover meatballs to use with pasta since my husband will eat a meatball bomber everyday of the week until they are gone.
So that is why I liked the idea of this ‘weeknight’ spaghetti and meatballs – one dish and get both your pasta and your meatball!
- 1 lb. meatloaf mix
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 8 –12 oz. spaghetti, broken in half
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper