Lending a hand at my mom’s last week got me thinking about quick, easy lunches. Lunch bowls are my go-to at home, but they’re not an option unless you’ve batch cooked some toppings or components. Hummus sandwiches are a staple for me, but I was hoping to make something a little more memorable. My mom and I have different food tastes in many ways, but we share a love of Mediterranean flavors, and I had the thought to make her some sort of tasty, fully loaded pita pocket.
The thing was, we were both short on cooking energy: me because I was juggling being a helper with staying on top of work and school, mom because she was healing and resting. Fortunately, I had some tricks up my sleeve to help me create these fast, filling and flavorful Mediterranean pita pockets with kale burgers and roasted red pepper hummus.
- 2 large whole grain pita pockets, cut in half
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber rounds
- 2 roasted red bell peppers (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 cups loosely packed, baby arugula
- 1 batch herbed tofu feta (optional)
- Tahini mint dressing or tahini green goddess dressing (optional, for drizzling)
- 5 tablespoons tahini
- 1 large clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons water