With Memorial Day coming up tomorrow, these hearty sweet potato burgers could not come at a more perfect time!
- With Memorial Day coming up tomorrow, these hearty sweet potato burgers could not come at a more perfect time!
- I chose to top mine with sliced avocado, butter lettuce, and homemade healthy ketchup. However, the sweet potato veggie burgers are also really good without any toppings at all… or even eaten like fritters without a bun or crumbled into a salad for a lighter option.
- These Sweet Potato Burgers by Kathy Patalsky are one of over 220 enticing recipes in her new cookbook, Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen. Kathy’s cookbook has everything covered, from appetizers to salads to the main event. Being a sweet potato lover, I had to go for these burgers first. And they do not disappoint.
- The book is a great source of meatless meal inspiration not just for vegans, but also for omnivores looking to incorporate more plant-based recipes into their weekly rotation. You don’t need to be 100% vegan to enjoy recipes such as Lasagna Verde, Veggie Pot Pie, or Mushroom Fajita Tacos.
- Make the sweet potato burgers for yourself to see just how delicious a meatless meal can be… and then scroll down to the end of this post for a chance to win your own copy of Kathy Patalsky’s new cookbook!
- Sweet Potato Burgers
- (Makes 5 burgers – Reprinted with permission from Kathy Patalsky)
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 1/2 cups drained and rinsed canned cannelini beans
- 2-3 tbsp oat or wheat flour
- 1 tbsp tahini or nut butter, softened
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup (or pinch stevia for sugar-free)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder or spice blend
- salt, pepper, optional cayenne or other spices
- optional 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- If frying: 1-3 tsp vegetable or coconut oil
- optional 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs or 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
- toppings of choice