I am a savory breakfast person through and through.
I’ll easily take a breakfast burrito or eggy tofu and toast over maple syrup drenched pancakes most days. I want my breakfast to come with a side of avocado or salsa, not topped with powdered sugar.
However, there are some days in the summer months when it’s hot and muggy that a fruit smoothie is the perfect way to start the day. It’s filling without being heavy, easy to take on the road, or sip while I check my email and read new blog posts.
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1-2 collard leaves, rib removed (optional)*
- 1/2 cup frozen dark sweet cherries
- 1 banana, frozen in chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 ice cubes (optional)