This month I am writing about foods that remind me of home.
Some days you just want to wrap up in the food equivalent of a big cozy blanket. Soft and enveloping, there’s something deliciously simple about a big bowl of garlicky butter noodles. When I was a child, I didn’t like tomato sauce on my noodles. I wanted them plain with a little butter, a dash of salt and pepper. I didn’t mind eating other things on the side, but I didn’t want anything messing up the simplicity of plain, salty, buttery noodles.
- 8 ounces plain egg-free pappardelle
- 3 heaping Tablespoons vegan butter, divided
- 6-8 ounces oyster mushrooms, removed from hard core (In a pinch, thinly sliced button or crimini mushrooms will work.)
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons red wine (I recommend Malbec, Tempranillo, or Garnacha)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chives, chopped (optional garnish)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste