I bought a lovely bunch of kale at the store today and decided rather than cook it all, I’d like to try a salad with part of it. Since kale is a bit strong to me, I thought a bit of fruit might round it out. And it did! The earthy taste of the walnuts and walnut oil playing off the citrus in the orange vinaigrette are what make this for me. This salad is delicious alone, but would be delightful with boiled or grilled shrimp added as well, or some cooked bits of white chicken meat, making it a complete meal.
This recipe is not suitable until you reach the the higher fruit level of the Atkins OWL carb ladder (Phase 3). It is perfectly OK for Ketogenic diets (although you may want to use lower-carb berries rather than oranges). It is also suitable for Primal and Paleo as well.
You will find many more delicious salads and dressings like this in the hottest selling Low Carbing Among Friends cookbooks. International author Jennifer Eloff has pulled in the most incredible talent on the the low-carb cooking scene. Together they bring to you a bevy of tasty recipes any cook would be proud to serve to friends or family. Order your personal set (or individual volumes) today from Amazon or here: http://amongfriends.us/order.php
- 1½ oz. kale leaves, stems removed, sliced thinly (this was 2 large leaves for me)
- 2 oz. raw onion, sliced thinly (I only had white on hand, but red onion would be perhaps even better)
- ½ oz. walnuts, coarsely broken apart (about 7 halves)
- 1 medium orange (use leftover part for a nice Pimm’s Cup!)
- 2 T. walnut oil (important not to substitute other oils here)
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 T. orange juice (fresh squeezed)