I was in an experimental mood this past weekend so I sprouted some rye berries to make sprouted rye bread.
It’s been a while since I’ve made sprouted bread. It is one of my favorite types of bread so every once in a while I just have to make it.
This Sprouted Rye and Spelt Bread is made with sprouted rye berries, rye flour and all-purpose Spelt flour.
In most of my other sprouted breads, I’ve used white bread flour so I decided to try a different combination. I’m trying to incorporate more ancient grains in my bread baking so this was a good experiment.
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (1 1/2 packages) active dry yeast
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of ginger
- 2 cups whole rye flour
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sprouted rye berries, chopped
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose Spelt flour
- Spelt bran, for sprinkling, optional
- Melted butter, for brushing