I recently joined Google+ and have been enjoying connecting with old friends and making new ones and hanging out in hang outs. In the process of adding new friends to my circles, I ran across a new baking group called Sourdough Surprises . They’ve been having fun using their sourdough starters with friends all over the world for the past several months, but I just found out about them.
Since I’ve been focusing on sourdough this month, I decided it would be fun to join them. Their challenge for the month was to make sourdough brioche dough and then make babka using the brioche dough. I love sourdough and brioche so I figured you couldn’t go wrong with that combination.
- 2 cups (480 ml) culture from culture proof *
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces (115 g) Gruyere cheese, grated
- 4-5 cups (560 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs (I used 6 large eggs, but I think medium would work better or only use 5)
- 1 cup (240 g) butter
- 1 egg yolk (for the egg wash)
- 2 teaspoons water