The HBinFive Baking Group made sandwich breads this month. Sprouted Wheat Bread is one of my favorite sandwich breads so I decided to continue my experiment with different types of sprouted grains and come up with a new sprouted grain sandwich bread. I used my favorite sprouted bread recipe, but substituted spelt grains for the whole wheat grains and spelt flour for the whole wheat and bread flours. The finished bread is very tasty.
I milled spelt grains into flour and sifted part of the flour twice to remove a good bit of the bran. I substituted the sifted spelt flour for the bread flour and the unsifted spelt flour for the whole wheat flour called for in the original recipe.
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (1 1/2 packages) active dry yeast
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of ginger
- 2 cups (260 g) whole spelt flour
- 1 cup (85 g) nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (12 oz) warm water
- 1/4 cup (3 oz) honey
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Sprouted spelt berries, chopped (see method below)
- 4 cups (540 g) spelt flour (sifted once to remove the bran and germ)
- Wheat germ, for sprinkling (optional)
- Melted butter, for brushing (optional)