Since I’m focusing on Sourdough this month, I decided now would be a good time to revive and repurpose two of the sourdough starters that I’ve been neglecting.
I’ve been using my Apple Starter exclusively for the past several months and hadn’t even fed the other two starters. They were begging for my attention. So I gave it to them.
My first experiment was to convert the starter we created in the BBA Challenge to a sourdough rye starter. The BBA Starter was a mature starter that I created in 2009; it just wasn’t active at the moment. Rather than getting rid of it, I wanted to bring it back to life and convert it completely to a rye starter. The BBA Starter was originally created with a portion of rye flour so it seemed like a natural progression to convert it to a sourdough rye.