I’m a little behind (again) on my bread baking for the HBinFive Baking Group. I was supposed to make 10-Grain Bread for the May 1st Bread Braid, but I didn’t quite get to it in May so I made it for the June Bread Braid instead.
I changed the recipe to suit the grains I had on hand. I didn’t have the 10-grain cereal mix the recipe called for, but I did have a mixture of seven grains in a bucket that I bought a couple of years ago. I know, I have way too many grains. That’s why I didn’t go out and buy the 10-grain cereal mix. Instead, I ground the 7 grains into flour and used the flour instead of cereal. I also used white spelt flour and whole wheat pastry flour instead of the white whole wheat bread flour and all-purpose flour.
- 2 cups 7-grain flour (I milled my flour from a mix of 7-grains, but you can use a 5-grain or 10-grain cereal mix if you prefer)
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour (I used the pastry-setting on my grain mill)
- 3 cups white spelt flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast, or 2 packets
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 3 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons seed mixture for sprinkling on the top of crust (I used black & tan sesame seeds, poppy seeds, anise seeds, and sunflower seeds)