February is Chocolate Lover’s Month. Have you celebrated yet? I’ve been celebrating all month.
Since chocolate and Valentine’s Day go hand-in-hand, I decided to celebrate Chocolate Lover’s Month and Valentine’s Day by making some Italian Chocolate Chip Bread for two of my Sweethearts – my youngest son and my boyfriend. My oldest son and his girlfriend got the Panda Bread . As for me, I got the satisfaction of making bread and giving it away.
The original version of this bread calls for all-purpose flour, but I decided to make it more nutritious (shhh…don’t tell!) by adding some spelt flour. Spelt is one of the super grains and can be used in anything in which wheat flour is used so I figured I’d share the love with chocolate and spelt.
- vegetable oil, for brushing
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup white spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter; plus 1/2 teaspoon melted butter for brushing
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips