I’ve made stuffed peppers about 100 times in the last decade, and each time they turn out slightly different. I think it’s a dish that lends itself to being creative. Aside from the actual peppers, there are endless possibilities as to what to stuff them with. Today, for the third day of #EatLean2015 I’m sharing with you my recipe for Italian Stuffed Peppers with Cauliflower Rice.
I’ll get to the peppers in a moment, but first, have you ever had cauliflower rice? I don’t mean cauliflower mixed into rice, but actual “rice” made from the cauliflower itself? This is a sneaky little way to cut back on carbs and eat more veggies. I started making cauliflower rice about a year ago, and now I love coming up with new ways to use it.
- 1 head of organic cauliflower, stems removed and chopped into small florets
- 4 organic red bell peppers
- 1/2 lbs fresh mild Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 10 oz organic tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Handful of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 TBS organic butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Several ounces of fresh mozzarella