I tend to make cauliflower rice at least twice a week. I love pairing it with roasted vegetables or another hearty side for a meal, and I usually season it with chili-garlic sauce and tamari. It’s become a weeknight staple in our house because it comes together in a quick 20 to 30ish minutes and is incredibly versatile.
A few Sundays ago, Dan and I decided to cram just about everything we could into one day. We biked to a restaurant for lunch. We checked out a new bike trail in the city (fellow Chicagoans, The Bloomingdale Trail is awesome). We biked around Wicker Park. We biked to a movie theater in Lincoln Park (but not before going the wrong direction for a solid 2 miles — my finger is pointed at Dan on this one). After our 4-mile detour, we ended up in the cookbook aisle at Barnes & Noble. I have no idea how that happened. Then, we saw not one but two movies when we finally made it to the theater. And then we biked back home.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes (no salt added) or less to taste
- ⅓ cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup mild giardiniera, oil strained off (optional)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Bragg's Aminos or tamari (adds depth to the flavor)
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 2 heaping cups baby spinach (about 2.5 ounces)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- handful fresh basil leaves, chopped