Chewy Mandarin Orange Cookies are made with Italian love, mandarin orange zest and drizzled with a deliciously light and bright citrus glaze.
Let the baking season commence!!!!
A fond holiday memory was being in the kitchen with my little Italian mom. We always made a ricotta Italian knot cookies with sprinkles. These were my favorite.
Unfortunately over the years, dairy and gluten don’t agree well with my mom so made these little chewy mandarin orange cookies to share with her over the holidays. We absolutely love those chewy, sink your teeth in, types of cookies. These cookies also freeze very well. That is a very good thing as they are evaporating into thin air with family in the vicinity. I had to hide them under the frozen broccoli, shhh…no one will ever look there.
- Wet Ingredients
- ground flax seeds and water - 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed mixed with 6 tablespoons of water (replacement for egg and also xanthum gum)
- butter/margarine - 1/2 cup (We used smart balance dairy free)
- granulated sugar - 1 cup (We used coconut sugar)
- vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon (or use pure vanilla, if you have that on hand)
- mandarin orange zest - 3 teaspoons (or about 6 small mandarin oranges)
- milk alternative - 1/3 cup (We used Lactaid milk as that is my mom's favorite, feel free to use almond milk, soy or whatever you like)
- Dry Ingredients
- coconut flour - 1.5 cups
- green banana flour - 3/4 cup (We used NuNatural's NuNana Organic Green banana flour)
- corn starch - 1/2 cup
- baking soda - 1 teaspoon
- salt - 1 teaspoon
- Mandarin Orange Drizzle
- powdered (icing) sugar - 1 cup
- mandarin orange juice - 1/8 cup
- mandarin orange zest - 1 teaspoon