Cake and summer go hand in hand like, oh wait – no one has ever said that because firing up an oven to make a cake that takes 60-plus minutes to bake in 90-plus weather is insanity. Or dedication. In this case it is a little bit of both. With each recipe fail came another round of testing until it yielded a payoff like the picture you see. That is, a cake laced with some strawberry jam, drizzled with a simple glaze and dusted with sliced almonds for a bit of textural contrast, and freeze dried strawberries for that extra strawberry flavor.
- Jam 1 1.25oz. freeze-dried strawberries 1 8.25 oz. Stonewall Kitchen Strawberry Vanilla Jam Cake 3 cups of all-purpose flour 3/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 cup buttermilk 1/4 cup vegetables oil 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 cup butter 2 cups granulated sugar 4 large eggs Glaze + Topping 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar 3 tablespoons milk 1 drop of pink food coloring (optional) 2 tablespoons sliced almonds 3 tablespoons freeze dried strawberries.
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 drop of pink food coloring (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons freeze dried strawberries.