Who is ready for the holidays? I’m almost there. The dinner menu is set—dessert will be these Vanilla Almond Cupcakes you see here. They are so fun and festive, right?
The gold cups easily dress up any cupcakes, and those glittered antlers make the perfect holiday statement. But beyond being eye-catching, the cupcakes are just sweet enough for dessert but not overwhelming after a big holiday meal.
In fact, they are one of my more pared down cupcakes in terms of visual finishes. But the flavor—the flavor—I added almond paste to the vanilla cupcake base. I love it, when small and simple tweaks can transform a classic. I may never make regular vanilla cupcakes again.
- For the cupcakes
- 21/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3.5 oz. almond paste
- ¾ cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- For the buttercream
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 11/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons milk, plus more if needed
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt