Salted Caramel Ice Cream – Dairy Free, ZERO refined sugar
Never have I been more excited about the release of an ice cream flavor. Rumor has had it for months that Coconut Bliss, already my favorite brand of amazing dairy-free coconut milk ice cream, was going to be introducing a salted caramel flavor. Glory hallelujah! Caramel has always been my greatest dessert weakness, and salted caramel was an ascension to an entirely new plane of buttery sweet joy. So when I finally got to try it last week – my heart sank just a little.
Why? Because CHOCOLATE.
- I have nothing against chocolate, mind you – even though I’m not a huge chocoholic I still enjoy it periodically. But I like my caramel straight up, unadulterated, save for creamy flavor companions. . Chocolate WITH caramel makes it a different thing altogether. And this new salted caramel coconut milk ice cream was loaded with chocolate, too. I realize that this combination has legions of fans, and the Coconut Bliss version is certainly still good (like all their flavors), so more power to them, but for me, just not the holy grail about which I had been fantasizing.
- By all means, if you like chocolate and caramel, you’ll rave about Luna and Larry and their Coconut Bliss. But for those who, like me, prefer their salted caramel unbesmirched, I took matters into my own Kitchen AId attachment and whipped up this.
- SALTED CARAMEL COCONUT MILK ICE CREAM
- CARAMEL (For ribbon and topping)
- 1 can (14 ounces) regular coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (organic grade B if possible)
- 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt