Nachos go healthy with lentils in the sauce!
Fajita Style Nachos with Easy Lentil Sauce
Look no farther if you are looking for healthy nachos with a delicious sauce that takes 30 seconds to make. No, really – 30 seconds max.
It was torture to choose between two fabulous Tex-Mex classic party dishes for upcoming Cinco de Mayo- fajitas and nachos. So, I created the best of both worlds with this recipe: Fajita Style Vegetarian Nachos. It’s genius. Just grill or broil the veggies and then use them to top your nachos.
And a delicious sauce that takes only 30 seconds to make? Earthy lentils are a perfect match with chipotle – so warm and comforting – with a kick of heat! Just a cup of cooked lentils, a can of enchilada sauce, some raw pressed garlic and a spoonful of chipotle in adobo – all blended until smooth. Yum. It isn’t cooked – just warmed in the microwave. Then you top that with broiled veggies and then, of course cheese. Instant fiesta!
- Fajita Style Nachos with Easy Lentil Sauce
- FAJITA STYLE VEGETARIAN NACHOS
- Prep time: 20 minutes; Serves 6 as an appetizer or 2 as a main dish
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 can (15 ounces) mild red enchilada sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon of chipotle pepper from a can of chipotle in adobo sauce (or more to your liking)
- 1 each red, green and yellow bell peppers, cut into julienne strips
- 1 bunch green onions, halved lengthwise and then cut into 2 inch pieces
- A little canola oil spray
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 12 cups tortilla chips
- 4 ounces queso fresco cheese, crumbled (or other favorite cheese(s), grated)
- Blend in blender until smooth the lentils, enchilada sauce, garlic and chipotle. Heat in microwave oven until hot, about 90 seconds on high.
- Spread veggies on a baking sheet (preferably covered with parchment for easy cleanup) and then spray lightly with oil. Broil very close to heat for a few minutes (You want the veggies to get charred quickly and not roast so that they would turn mushy.) Remove from oven and place veggies in a bowl while still hot. Squeeze lime juice over veggies and then sprinkle with a little salt, pepper and chile powder.
- Arrange chips on a serving plate. Drizzle chips with lentil sauce and then scatter with veggies. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.
- – posted by Donna