Tater tots – sweet potato edition.
Tots, sweet potato style.
- Tots, sweet potato style.
- We decided to update this American classic, giving this recipe a sweet orange makeover for a bloggers-only contest. If you like sweet potato fries, these tots may just become your new addiction!
- This new enlightened version is even more delicious than the original – same crispy outsides, but sweeter, more flavorful insides. Sweet potatoes are about a million per cent more flavorful than regular spuds, and pack a real nutritional bang for your buck. Orange-fleshed sweet potatoes are an incredibly nutrient-dense food.
- To make the interior light and fluffy I grated the tubers and then baked the shreds to take out excess water. Then, I tossed them with a little cornstarch and flour for binders. They hold together perfectly and the bath in hot oil gives them that perfect crunch.
- Well worth the effort – for kids and for the kid in all of us.
- SWEET POTATO TOTS
- Makes about 16 tots
- 1 pound sweet potatoes or yams (1 large potato or 2 small potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (or cayenne pepper)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Canola oil for frying
- Cinnamon sugar if desired for sprinkling