Happy New Year! Wishing you all the best in 2013. Can't hurt to eat black-eyed peas for a little extra good luck.
- 2 cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained, or 1 cup dried black-eyed peas, cooked and drained*
- 4 scallions, finely sliced
- 3 jalapenos, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro or parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped**(opt.)
- 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground peppercorns
- Rinse and drain the beans and place in a bowl with the scallions,
- cilantro, tomatoes and peppers.
- Put the oil, vinegar, lime juice and salt in a one
- cup glass measuring cup and mix together.
- Add the liquid to the beans and combine.
- Place in a shallow glass (or other non-reactive)
- dish. Cover and place in the refrigerator for a few hours or a few days.
- (I marinated mine for 24 hours but sometimes it's much less, and when I'm really on top of things, it's three days.) Mix occasionally to distribute the marinade evenly. Grind some
- peppercorns over the top just before serving.
- Serve with sturdy chips, like Food Should Taste Good Multi-Grain Chips.