Everything is so much easier in the slow cooker. So, I decided to try making ropa vieja in the slow cooker too! In fact, it’s so easy I’ve already made this dish several times over the past few weeks. I usually get around 3lb of flank steak. I cut the steak into 2 inch slices (cut across the grain). Then pan sear the strips on a high heat in a tablespoon of coconut oil. Sear for about 2-3 minutes on each side. This just locks in some of those delicious juices.
Do you want me to email this recipe to you?
- 3lb flank steak
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (for pan searing)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of sea salt
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 (6oz) cans tomato paste
- 3 peppers, sliced
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes (or onion powder)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder