Tender scones bursting with bright sunshiny flavor! They’re perfect for any lemon lover. With their soft texture, you’ll never guess they have just 2 tablespoons of butter!
The night before we attended my brother’s college graduation ceremony to cheer on his record-setting 18 A+ grades and devoured fancy deep-dish pizzas to celebrate, our family bought tickets to attend our old high school band’s spring concert. Although I finished high school ages ago and my brother barely knew anyone in the ensemble too, we had a very special reason for going.
- The new band director decided to create a slightly more modern program than the Tchaikovsky and Mozart my old director selected for us, which included six fun percussion-only pieces, as well as each of the three concert ensembles (freshman, regular, and elite) playing an electronic song.
- For those new-age songs, the band performed a typical classical piece, while a laptop plugged into speakers played the accompanying electronic melodies. The director would press a tiny headphone into one ear while conducting the band, and he glanced offstage every so often to check in with the assistant director standing behind the computer.
- Before the second ensemble began their electronic piece, a traditional song with the electronics added afterward, the band director called my younger brother up to the stage. My brother had actually composed the electronic accompaniment as a senior in high school, and the band had played it in a concert competition that year! He graciously spoke about how the band director had invited him to create the piece and explained his concept for the electronic sounds, and as the band played the song, both my mom and I were fighting back proud tears. (I’m actually crying now as I write this!)
- Just like how my brother added a creative twist to a familiar song, I put a little spin on a classic flavor combo. Instead of the iconic muffins, I created these Lemon Poppy Seed Scones for my brother as the last installment of Lemon Week!
- Continue reading & see the recipe! ›› Lemon Poppy Seed Scones