Know What You Eat: Dahi vadas are lentil (urad + Moong dal) based savory balls originally deep fried in oil, for a healthier version try using the baked method, or use an appam pan with using just a teaspoon of oil for each fritter...these vadas are then covered with frothy fresh yogurt sauce and sprinkled with spices like chili pwd, roasted coriander-cumin pwd, chaat masala, black salt and garnished with Sweet Tamarind & Green chutney along with Fresh Cilantro/Mint leaves.
Lentils Give You Energy to Burn While Stabilizing Blood Sugar & Iron for Energy
- addition to providing slow burning complex carbohydrates, lentils can
- menstruating women, who are more at risk for iron deficiency, boosting
- iron stores with lentils is a good idea--especially because, unlike red
- meat, another source of iron, lentils are not rich in fat and calories.
- Appam Maker
- For Vadas (Fritters)
- 1 C Urad Daal (Black lentil without skin) (Soak 4-5 hrs)
- 1/2 C Yellow Moong Dal Soak 4-5 hrs)
- 1 Tsp Grated Ginger
- 1/2 tsp green chilli paste
- Few pinches of Black pepper powder
- A Pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
- Salt to taste
- Oil For Deep Frying OR 3Tbps OF Oil for fritters if making in appam maker
- For Yogurt Sauce:
- 2 C Fresh Beaten Yogurt
- 2 tsp. red chilli powder.
- 1 tsp. roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp roasted corriander powder
- 3 tsp. Sugar ( I make it on a sweeter side as it is liked in our fly..)
- 1 tsp chaat masala powder
- 1 tsp black salt
- Salt to taste
- For Green chutney:
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Cilantro, (Coriander)
- 6 green chillies
- salt & lemon juice.