North Bondi Fish, located at the old North Bondi Italian site, brings a laidback yet upmarket vibe to fish and chips. Situated right on the beach, breathtaking views of the beach tantalise as you feast at celebrity chef Matt Moran’s seafood eatery. It’s casual, comfortable and has a beach house feel, while at the same time, allowing for a little luxury and mellow decadence. It’s a Matt Moran restaurant after all!!
- North Bondi Fish, located at the old North Bondi Italian site, brings a laidback yet upmarket vibe to fish and chips. Situated right on the beach, breathtaking views of the beach tantalise as you feast at celebrity chef Matt Moran’s seafood eatery. It’s casual, comfortable and has a beach house feel, while at the same time, allowing for a little luxury and mellow decadence. It’s a Matt Moran restaurant after all!!
- The first dish we had was the Yellow Fin Tuna, Betel Leaf, Pomelo and Chilli. This was a feast for the eyes as well as the palate. The vibrant colours of the betel leaf and fresh tuna were stunning, and the zesty pomelo contrasted beautifully with the puffed wheat and garlic chips. Light and refreshing, it made for the perfect starter!
- Next came the Salt and Pepper Calamari, Red Vinegar and Ginger. Salt and pepper calamari has got to be a must order dish in any good seafood restaurant. The seasoning was spot on and the sweet, tart sauce was the perfect accompaniment to go with the deep fried morsels of calamari that were soft and tender.
- We then enjoyed a sweet, crisp and light Black Fig, Fennel, Goats Curd and Asparagus salad. Wow! The figs shine through in this salad, the sweetness complimenting the fennel and asparagus. The creaminess of the goats curd balances the sweetness perfectly.
- We were then presented with Charcoal Roasted Yamba Prawns, Ginger and Shallot. These prawns were amazing! Seriously large and meaty, and beautifully cooked, resulting in soft tender meat. The charcoal method of cooking these prawns enhanced the subtle flavours. An absolute must order dish!!
- The sides consisted of Malt Vinegar Chips and Cabbage Slaw with Parmesan. The chips were hands down, one of the best we’d had. There was a serious crunch to the outside with soft fluffiness on the inside. The malt vinegar gave the chips a unique element that was subtle enough but gave it a distinct edge over ordinary chips. The cabbage slaw was crunchy, creamy and offset the mains perfectly!
- Next came a Grilled Whole Market Fish (Snapper), Broccolini and King Mushrooms. The fish was perfectly cooked and quite impressive to look at! The flesh was soft, flakey and delicate to the taste. The broccolini retained the requisite crunch, and the mushrooms were soft and delicious. If you’re dining in a group, this would make a fabulous shared main.
- The last main dish was the Kinkawooka Mussels with Minestrone Pesto. There was fabulous flavour and seasoning in the mussels, and of course cooked perfectly, so that they were soft and tender. The pasta underlying the mussels were in a light tomato based soup which was perfect for dipping the garlic herb bread into.
- The first dessert was a Coconut and Lime Pannacotta with Grilled Pineapple. The sweet tartness of the pineapple contrasted beautifully with the creaminess of the pannacotta. The coconut flavour shone through quite clearly. A very refreshing dessert, ideal for those who like their dessert to be light and not too sweet.
- The second dessert was a brilliant dish, and the clear winner. The Apple Tarte Fine with Vanilla Anglaise was absolutely superb. The tarte was super crunchy with a very crisp caramelised shell. The sweet apples melded perfectly with the creamy vanilla anglaise. The result was an absolute sensation for the taste buds. I really must insist you order this dessert! It is to die for!
- We went to Matt Moran’s North Bondi Fish with somewhat high expectations, and they were met with some outstanding dishes. We found this place to be perfect to rock up to in your flip flops after a quick swim at the beach, or perhaps an occasion to dress up a little for a family lunch or romantic dinner. This versatile restaurant caters to whatever mood you’re in. Drop by for some quality seafood that won't break the bank.
- North Bondi Fish
- 120 Ramsgate Avenue
- North Bondi
- NSW 2026
- Contributed by Susan, who dined as a guest on behalf of 2 Hungry Guys