This isn’t just a salad. It’s got leafy green spinach, yes. But it’s also pasta (orzo!) and roasted cauliflower, tangy feta, and tart dried cherries, all tossed in a honey lemon vinaigrette. It’s awesome. I’ve made it twice this month now because all of us (husband, baby, ALL of us) loved it so.
I tried French feta for the first time in this recipe and really recommend it. It’s creamier and a bit less pungent than Greek feta- keeps it from overwhelming the other ingredients. If you use Greek feta I would reduce the amount a bit. This so-much-more-than-a-salad will be my go-to for parties and bbq’s this summer. It’s easy to tote around, tastes great warm or cold or at room temperature, and keeps well for a few days in the fridge.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup orzo pasta (I use whole wheat orzo)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (I use Valbreso French feta for a milder flavor, if using Greek feta I would reduce to 1/2 cup)
- 2/3 cup dried cherries
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard