This fantastic Grilled Southwest Burger just might become your new favorite burger!
We didn’t set out to make this Grilled Southwest Burger to share here on A Family Feast. It simply started out as our dinner one night last week. But this burger was so delicious, we just HAD to share it with all of you! Plus – cooking it again for photographs was a great ‘excuse’ to eat this Grilled Southwest Burger again! 😉
We began by sautéing thick slices of onions and green bell peppers in extra virgin olive oil until they were tender and caramelized.
We also created a simple chipotle mayonnaise that we slathered on store-bought brioche burger rolls.
Finally, we made juicy grilled burgers from grass-fed beef* perfectly seasoned with fresh cilantro and Southwest-inspired seasonings. Then we topped our burger with slices of pepper jack cheese.
We assembled our Grilled Southwest Burger by placing slices of fresh garden tomatoes on our chipotle mayo-slathered roll, following by the cheese-topped burger, and then a generous portion of those caramelized onions and peppers.
You’re going to want to devour this Grilled Southwest Burger – just remember the napkins!
*Just a quick note about grass-fed beef: In our opinion – it tastes so much better than grain-feed beef, and for that reason alone (not to mention the health benefits), we think it’s well worth paying the higher price when you’re making a recipe like today’s burger.
PrintGrilled Southwest Burger
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 burges
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup onions, sliced thick (about half an onion)
- ½ cup green bell pepper, sliced thick (about half a pepper)
- 1 small can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, divided
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped and divided
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 large or two small tomatoes sliced into eight slices
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 burger rolls (we used brioche burger rolls from our local supermarket but any soft burger roll will work)