With back-to-school right around the corner (where did the summer go?!?), weekdays are about to get a lot busier and our afternoons and evenings will be filled with homework, swim lessons, Daisy Girl Scouts and more activities! So a quick and easy dinner like this Israeli Couscous with Chicken and Peas is a perfect option when you want something delicious but don’t have a lot of time.
Don’t be fooled by the simple ingredients in this dish – this Israeli couscous with chicken and peas packs a ton of flavor! The Israeli (or pearl) couscous is cooked in a combination of chicken broth, lemon juice and lemon zest creating a simple and delicious sauce. Then shredded and chopped rotisserie chicken is added along with some thawed frozen peas, fresh chopped scallions, and grated parmesan cheese – and you’re done!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⅓ cups Israeli (pearl) couscous
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- Zest of 2 large lemons
- Juice from 1 large lemon (about ¼ cup)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 4 scallions, finely sliced including both white and green parts
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups shredded and chopped cooked chicken (rotisserie cooked or other cooking method)