With the warmer weather finally here in New England, the invitations to some neighborhood barbeques are already starting to arrive! Can you believe that Memorial Day is only a few weeks away!? So we’re starting to dig out some of our favorite recipes that are great to bring along to parties and picnics, and this Broccoli and Bacon Salad is definitely on that list!
This broccoli and bacon salad is a recipe that my sister-in-law Pam originally shared with me. I remember the first time I had this – it was love at first bite! It’s a combination of fresh broccoli, crispy bacon, and shredded cheddar cheese in a sweet and creamy dressing made with sour cream, mayonnaise, and sugar. And a little bit of red onion and vinegar add some ‘zing’ to the dressing that is perfect with the flavors in this broccoli and bacon salad!
- 1 large or 2 small heads of broccoli
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 12 slices bacon (about half a package)
- ½ cup red onion chopped or sliced thin (your choice)
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream or crème fraiche (your choice)
- ½ cup mayonnaise (we recommend Hellman’s or homemade mayonnaise )
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar