No matter how beautiful the view, it is always difficult living somewhere that is at least a 24hr trip away from family and friends. But it is always a bit more, obvious, when there’s happy news, difficult times, special occasions and holidays which would otherwise be spent with those who are far away.
Now on this weekend in many cities around the globe there are fun runs for Mother’s Day. Sydney has the MDC each year and RJ and I have done it off and on over time, but growing up my family would all troop down to Center City Philadelphia and take part in one that started and finished at the Art Museum. It was in the days before mobile phones were small enough to carry along while exercising – and ages before anyone would have even imagined texting, much less texting while in the middle of a run. You laugh, but the most frustrating thing about the last 9K RJ and I participated in was dodging the people talking or texting while jogging across the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Really? Really? Is what you have to say that important it can’t wait 45 mins? But I digress.
- No matter how beautiful the view, it is always difficult living somewhere that is at least a 24hr trip away from family and friends. But it is always a bit more, obvious, when there’s happy news, difficult times, special occasions and holidays which would otherwise be spent with those who are far away.
- FYI, yes, the steps to which I refer are the very same ones Rocky ran up. Someone gave a life-size bronze statue of Rocky to the Art Museum years later, it ended up outside one of the sports stadiums instead, suspicious, very suspicious, and just plain amusing if you ask me.
- Anyway, on to my point. If I lived remotely close to my mom and sister-in-law we would probably be doing a fun run today and afterwards I would make them these pancakes for Mother’s Day brunch. Instead I hope my brother gets up early and surprises both of them, baby under one arm and pancakes under the other. And with that, it would be remiss to not share the most recent photo that just came through of Ms G – she turns 1 in just a few weeks, from what I’ve heard if she were here in person she would be saying ‘hi’ to you all… or perhaps ‘toe’ but ‘hi’ is much more fitting.
- So to all those mums out there celebrating their first Mother’s Day, or their 50th, I send you moments of peace and quiet, a glass of wine and time to read a magazine, a cup of tea and delicious pancakes. To my mom, I love you, Happy Mother’s Day.
- Print Recipe
- Fluffy Vegan Blueberry & Spelt Pancakes
- Adapted from Post Punk Kitchen
- 1 1/2 c whole spelt flour
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 c almond milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 Tbsp rice syrup [or agave, or maple]
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 c blueberries fresh or just thawed*